Thanks to The Athletic’s Max Bultman, we now know that the Red Wings have updated their website to announce several promotions and new hires.
Kris Draper, has indeed been promoted to the Red Wings’ director of Amateur Scouting. Ryan Rezmierski, formerly of Nashville, and Jesse Wallin, formerly of St. Louis, are the new Chief Scouts.
— Max Bultman (@m_bultman) August 16, 2019
- Kris Draper is the most notable promotion, going from Assistant to the General Manager to Director of Amateur Scouting.
- Jiri Fischer from Director of Player Evaluation to Associate Director of Player Personnel
- Shawn Horcoff from Director of Player Development to Director of Player Development/Assistant Director of Player Personnel
- Dan Cleary from Player Development Assistant to Assistant Director of Player Development
- Adam Nightingale from Assistant Coach/Video to Assistant Coach
- Marty Stein from Part-Time Amateur Scout to Amateur Scout
- Piet Van Zant from Athletic Trainer to Head Athletic Therapist
- Russ Baumann from Assistant Athletic Trainer to Assistant Athletic Therapist
- Paul Boyer from Equipment Manager to Head Equipment Manager
- Lisa Wright as Team Travel Coordinator
- LJ Scarpace as Video Coach.
- Kyle MacKinnon as a Pro Scout. MacKinnon recently retired after an 8-year pro career.
- Chris Yzerman as a Pro Scout
- Jesse Wallin as Chief Amateur Scout formerly of St. Louis
- Ryan Rezmeierski as Chief Amateur Scout, formerly of Nashville
- Rob Rassey as an Amateur Scout, former Harvard assistant coach
- Bryce Thoma as an Amateur Scout, former Saskatoon Blades assistant coach
- Kevin Gibson as an Amateur Scout. Former Toledo Walleye player and the son of Tigers legend Kirk Gibson.
- Thomas Carlsson as a European Scout, formerly of Arizona
- Phil Osaer as Head of Goaltending Scouting and Development. Michigan native and formerly a Goaltending Scout for Tampa Bay.
- Mike Barwis as Director of Sports Science and Human Performance
- Dr. Marc Gray as Team Chiropractor
Mike Barwis, owner and founder of BARWIS Performance Centers, is a big-time hire by GM Steve Yzerman. Barwis has worked with the likes of the UFC’s Robbie Lawler, NBA’s Draymond Green, current Red Wings Dylan Larkin and Luke Glendening among others, and will completely overhaul the Red Wings’ fitness program. Chief Amateur Scout Jesse Wallin is a former Red Wing who played parts of four seasons in Detroit.
Phil Osaer’s hire is an interesting one in that more teams are hiring scouts specifically for goaltenders. Osaer was a goaltending scout for Tampa for only one season and Tampa drafted goalie Hugo Alnefelt in the 3rd round of the 2019 draft.
LJ Scarpace is a Dearborn, Michigan native and former Michigan Wolverines Director of Player Development. His most recent job was as Carolina Hurricanes Video Coach.