The Detroit Red Wings traveled to Dallas to take on the Stars in their first game of 2020, fresh off their 2-0 win against the San Jose Sharks on Dec. 31.
The winning streak could not be extended, however, as the Red Wings lost 4-1 on Friday night.
Thoughts and Highlights
- The moms joined the Red Wings players for the first game of 2020.
- Filip Zadina only had 10:36 of ice time at 5 on 5, but he made the most of it, with a 75% Corsi for, which tied for the lead with Valtteri Filppula.
- Special teams doomed the Red Wings, as they allowed two shorthanded goals and a power-play goal.
- Early in the first period, Dylan Larkin scored his 10th goal of the season, taking a nice feed by Robby Fabbri and beating Anton Khudobin.
— Tom Mitsos (@tom_mitsos) January 4, 2020
- About midway through the first period, while the Red Wings are on a four-minute power play, some sloppy passing led to a 2-on-0 for the Stars, and Roope Hintz beat Jonathan Bernier to tie the game at 1-1.
- Early in the second period, Radek Faksa gave the Stars a 2-1 lead on the power play off a deflected point shot.
- Later in the second period, the Stars extended their lead, as Joe Pavelski forced a turnover at center ice and beat Bernier on a nice wrister.
- Pavelski appeared to score his second of the game early in the third period, but video replay determined there was goalie interference.
- The Red Wings pulled their goalie with about three minutes left and on a power play for the 6-on-4 opportunity, but Dallas scored on the empty net to extend the lead to 4-1.
GIF of the game
Despite not being able to deliver a win for their moms, every Red Wings player no doubt is thankful for the sacrifices their moms made to help them get to the NHL.
Motor City MVP
He scored the lone goal for the Red Wings. He wasn’t great from a shot-share standpoint (39.13%), but he gave the Red Wings a lead for half a period.