Their first winning streak of the season on the line, Detroit came into Staples Center to play another basement team in the Kings. Even without Filip Hronek, who was added to the long list of players with injuries, the Wings played a decent road game. However, a slow start and the blown lead late in the third cost them the extra point in overtime, ending their winning ways.
Tyler Bertuzzi picked up Detroit’s only 2 goals in this one and helped his team snag the pity point, now standing with a 7-12-2 record. This was the 7th win for LA, having a similar record to Detroit at 7-11-1 now.
Thoughts and Highlights
- The Kings were buzzing from the puck drop. The Wings did kill off Helm’s slashing penalty 2 minutes in, but it wasn’t long after before LA’s eager start made Detroit pay.
- Iafallo’s deflection that came from a pass from Walker hit the goal post, but Kopitar gets the rebound when he’s behind Bernier and earns his 7th of the year just a little over 5 minutes in.
— Eric (@Kingsgifs) November 15, 2019
- Green had some excellent blocks to keep it a one goal game despite Detroit only testing Quick with 5 shots, but thankfully went 2-for-2 on the penalty kill.
- Detroit scores the early period goal this time. Mantha and Bertuzzi capitalize on the odd man rush, with Mantha showing of the beauty of a backhand pass to Bertuzzi who finishes with the wrister.
— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) November 15, 2019
- Back and forth action finishes the period with a much better effort for Detroit as they carried the play. A close call as the puck goes into the Wings net but Wagner collided with Bernier, so it was ruled no goal immediately.
- Wings failed to convert starting the third on the man advantage, but another early goal comes regardless. There was confusion from Walker and Doughty behind the Kings net as Mantha stole the puck, passing it to Larkin, who sends it to Bertuzzi for his second of the game.
— Ryan Hana (@RyanHanaWWP) November 15, 2019
- Unfortunately, LA gets the equalizer in the late minutes of regulation. It’s Kempe who takes the game to overtime after Roy teed up a shot and Kempe buried the rebound.
— FOX Sports West (@FoxSportsWest) November 15, 2019
- To overtime! The game winner comes just 23 seconds in from Iafallo, ending the Wings win streak.
— LA Kings (@LAKings) November 15, 2019
- Jonathan Bernier’s 4th consecutive start and another good performance has earned him the current starter role. Despite the goals allowed, he gave the Wings a chance to win with some quality saves. Cholowski also had a solid game, as well as the entire first line, with Mantha getting two helpers.
Gif of the Game
When you stay up until 1 AM just to watch your team lose the lead and game in OT.
Motor City MVP
Detroit only managed to snag a point because of Tyler Ber-two-zzi. A big game for him, he nets his 19th and 20th point of the season as his line was once again dominant in this game.